CNC Machining, Sheet Metal Fabrication & Assembly of an Aerospace Chassis Assembly
At Tella Tool & Manufacturing Company, our continued success and technological edge positions us as leaders in assembly services for the Aerospace industry. Our services focus on precision and quality, with turnkey solutions for your product design along with metal working and fabrication under one roof.
An aerospace manufacturer required a chassis assembly to be completed within 1 week; utilizing Kanban scheduling and a vendor managed inventory system for procurement. The chassis design measured 26"x 15" x 9" with tolerances as tight as + .005". It required assembling multiple materials, including Aluminum in 5052, 6061, 7075 grades as well as 303 Stainless Steel.
Our team began the assembly processes with sheet metal fabrication, including stamping, laser cutting, turret press, and press brake operations. The chassis was then CNC machined, followed by hardware and rivet insertion throughout the body. Finally, it underwent finishing and coating operations that included chromate conversion coating and silk screening. The multi-component assembly was thoroughly inspected and measured, using gages, poke-e-yokes, fixtures and final dimensional checks with Faro arm 3D measurements.
The chassis represented our ability to combine multiple components with several in-house metal working capabilities. The customer was extremely pleased, ultimately placing orders of up to 700 chassis annually. To learn more about our services, please refer to the table below or contact us for more information.
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Request for Quote
Aerospace Chassis Assembly Project Highlights
- Product Description
- Chassis Assembly
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Primary: Assembly
Secondary: CNC Machining, Sheet Metal Fabrication and Stamping.
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Turret Press, Laser, Press Brake, CNC Machining Center, Hardware Insertion and Rivet Machines plus Lean Assembly Cell.
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 15"W x 9"H x 26"L
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- 5052, 6061, 7075 Aluminum and 303 Stainless Steel
- Material Finish
- Chromate Conversion Coating and Silkscreening
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Inspection using developed gages, poka-yoke and fixtures along with dimensional checks using a "Faro" arm.
- Industry for Use
- 700 annually
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 1 week using Kanban and Vendor Managed Inventory system
- Standards Met
- Customer supplied print, 2D, and CAD Drawing plus AS9012 standards
View our Products & Technology Projects
Back to Top